8.18.2014

Pitch Wars Mentee Bio!

PitchWars is upon us! My novel is finally ready to enter!


Hi! I'm Ann Marjory K! Some people call me Ann. Some call me Jory. A couple call me Mom. 


And here's a 11 facts about me (because this one goes to 11):

1. I'm a mother of two: ages eight and four. My eight year old's a writer too. My four year old is on his way to becoming either a galactic bounty hunter or a Sith lord.

Who's the best bounty hunter? My money's on the Boba Fett.

2. I've been writing since I could hold a pen, but really decided it was my thing in second grade. It's my passion; my first love. Mega Girl is the first full novel I've written. It's an incredibly exciting thing to see it in its full form.

3. I'm a Whole 30/Paleo eater, who cheats sometimes. Sweet potatoes and spinach are a daily essential. However, I really, really, really like Key Lime Pie. Hard to ignore it when offered.

4. Two years ago, I used to point at runners and yell, "Why you runnin'? Nobody's chasing you!" A year ago, I ran my first 5K and have done three more. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I can't deny how good I feel after it's done. Having my kids and husband cheering me on makes the difference.

 
No, I'm not very fast, but I get it done, wheezing along the way.

5. I have a Boston Terrier named Sir Galahad von Grosse-Grosse, but we just call him Grosse. He's totally gross and totally adorable.

Look at this fuzzy face!

6. I've lived in Connecticut, Arizona, Iowa, Michigan, but always come back to my beloved Chicago. Right now, I'm in the city and have no plans to leave. On that note, I love to road trip! Our new car, a Tesla, has ensured that we'll drive as much as possible without paying for gas.


7. When I'm not writing and doing that Mom stuff, I'm sewing things like costumes, aprons and plushes. It's a new addiction that gives me great satisfaction of completing projects in a short period of time (unlike novels). And my kids love the results. Shall I show off? OK, here:



8. I studied journalism. The most exciting part of my journalistic career was college when we had a racial controversy with a reporter. I was opinion editor at the time and I really learned about how important diversity is. After college, the excitement was far less and I settled in a night financial publication job. When my daughter started school, I couldn't stand not being able to hear about her day until the weekend, so I stopped and got to on, for the first time in my life, a novel.

9. I'm a DORK. (As if the costume pictures haven't given you a clue.) I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, comic books, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, etc. I quote old movies from the '80s and '90s like I just watched them yesterday. I go to our Chicago comic con every year. I play My Little Pony with my 8 year old and Star Wars with my 4 year old. And I looove cartoons (and sharing them with my kids).

That's right. We're the Justice League!

10. And I love the idea of superheroes. Since I was a kid and couldn't sleep (happened often), I'd imagine myself with superpowers, like walking through walls, flying or becoming invisible. This is not to say I dream about being a superhero, (because I can only handle being a hero to two special kids), but it's possibly why I created Mega Girl.

11. I love love LOVE t-shirts. The more unique the better. I may as well have an account at Threadless and We Love Fine.

   


Why would I be a great mentee?

1. Because despite all the years of experience I have in writing, I know I still have a LOT to learn and always will. I'm going to listen to you and take it all in to make my book the best it can be.

2. Because I love to send gifts to people who help me! Once I catch wind of what you like, expect goodies! (not that I'm trying to bribe you here, it's just a nice bonus.)

3. Because this is my dream. And I have no plans to screw up my dream.



Thanks for reading! Read the rest of my fellow Pitch Wars hopefuls here.


Ann Marjory K

6 comments:

  1. I laughed a lot. Nice bio. Good luck with #PitchWars and after too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you so much! Bios should make people smile.

      Delete
  2. I'm pulling for your youngest to become an intergalactic bounty hunter. We can always use more of those, not so much the latter. :)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete