5.21.2015

The Writer's Voice entry - Mega Girl Query + first 250

This is for a contest called The Writer's Voice (Link). Good luck to everyone who entered and thank you our #TheWVoice hosts!

QUERY: 

Dear Agent,

Being a human wrecking ball with the emotional stress of high school life sucks. 

Mega Girl dreams of standing next to the other superhero elite defending the city of Detroipia. As awkward junior, Lauren Chapman, she just wants to get through high school without breaking yet another desk, or worse, a wall. Exhaustion from late-night patrols sticks her with an F in biology. But she can’t complain about Dane, her new tutor with those floppy bangs and killer eyes.

Mega Girl’s secret identity is constantly tested whether it be a speedy wannabe sidekick, a stiletto-wearing jewel thief or the general public believing she’s too inexperienced fueled by a trending superhero-hating blog.

When everything comes to a head, Lauren needs to decide what’s most important: her superhero reputation or Dane, who has the uncanny ability to calm her strength despite making her heart skip a beat when he walks in the room.

MEGA GIRL (complete at 65,000 words) is a YA contemporary fantasy that combines the thrills of Spiderman with the everyday quirkiness of Gilmore Girls. It is a standalone novel with series potential.

I am a former features writer with a journalism degree and have decades of experience reading comic books.

Thank you for your time and consideration.


FIRST 250 WORDS:

Three crimson slashes burn my eyes. My pulse reverberates against my temples. Time stops. Air lodges in my throat until I gasp.

An F?

“Ms. Chapman?”

“Huh?” My neck snaps as I look up. Ow. Cramp.

A couple feet ahead, Mr. Smiley stands. His hands link over his argyle sweater vest. Stifled giggles flutter throughout the classroom.

“I asked if there was a problem.”

All eyes are on at me. “Um, nothing,” I say.  

I fold the biology quiz and stuff it deep inside my torn canvas backpack. There. Now I can pretend it doesn’t exist. At least during the forty minutes I’m stuck in this musty classroom.

Smiley walks through the aisle toward my seat. His fingers press on my desk and he leans closer so I have to smell his coffee breath.

“I’d like to see you after class,” he whispers and walks away.

The snickers resume. Next to me, Kendra Wooten crinkles her heavily made-up eyes and snorts. “Who flunks biology?”

I sink lower in my seat. It trembles beneath me. Just crap-perb. I better pull it together or the chair will collapse. Sure, I get Cs, the rare D, but never an F. Dad’s going to kill me. Or worse, not let me go out on patrol tonight.

Smiley returns to the front of the room and conducts class in a usual fashion that renders us powerless. I count on lecture days to relax so I don’t break things. When I freak, I’m an emotional epicenter.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ann,

    Congrats on making the round. I like how you've changed Mega Girl from the last time I read it. Strong voice. I'm cheering you on. Good luck!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too adorable! I so want to read more! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pitch of Spiderman meets Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked the Spiderman/Gilmore Girls comps. And love the name Detroipia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! the Detroipians are very proud of their city. :)

      Delete
  5. Ha -- I like the subtle humor in this.

    Thanks for sharing and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I like the voice and premise. Good job and best of luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete